The Mu Beta Chapter of Chi Omega, founded on April 21, 1922, was the second sorority at the University of Georgia. It was founded by Mrs. Arthur Gannon, with Mrs. Claude Chance being the first pledge. O
r the years it has grown from one room in Peabody Hall moving almost every year in the first eight years. In 1930, they rented the home of Mrs. Charles Phinizy and finally bought the property in 1939. That property is now the home of the Gamma Phi Beta sorority.
In 1961, Mu Beta chapter moved to their brand new home
at 324 South Milledge Avenue, which was the former site of the Billups - Phin
izy house. Although the Chi Omega house appears small from the front, the dormitory area can accomodate 69 girls, making it one of the largest sorority houses at UGA. This allows all of the sophomores and executive board to live in the house. The front of the house has a large chapter room, an old-fashioned parlor room, a kitchen for our chefs, and a dining room where breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served daily during the week. The courtyard, which is adjacent to the living quarters and the chapter room, is a great place to study on a cool fall day, to catch a few rays in the spring time, or simply to socialize. The house also touts a study room on the third floor with couches, tables, computers, printers, copiers, and study files all available as resources to the Chi Omegas.